Monday, March 10, 2014

March 10th

Today we visited the Biblical City of Cappadocia. This is the city which is mentioned in Acts chapter two, and the city to which Peter wrote both of his letters. While here we visited some ancient sites including an underground church which was dug into a cave, and an ancient monastic city. We also had the opportunity to visit a hand made rug shop and pottery shop. In each of these shops they would demonstrate how they made whatever it was they made, and then they would attempt to sell us a rug or piece of pottery. Something extraordinary happened in the rug shop.

A man named VeeCee (pardon the spelling) sat down beside me and asked me if I was interested in some five thousand dollar hand made rugs. I politely told him no, and he asked me what I did for a living in America. I told responded, “I am a youth pastor, for a christian church,” to which I received a bit of silence and shock. Then I asked if he was Islamic, and in fact he was! So I began asking him questions about his faith, and he began to do the same about mine. At one point I asked if he recognized Jesus and he said, “Yes, if we do not accept his teachings then we do not please Allah.”

So I began to teach him the true teachings of Jesus. He was under the impression that I was a catholic priest and I explained to him, “No, I am not catholic, I am a sinner who was saved thanks to Jesus sacrifice on the cross, and because of that and His free gift I can have an eternal relationship with God, 100% based on what Jesus did and 0% percent on my works, and I can know 100% for sure that I will spend eternity with Jesus.” He then responded, “I can never know for sure.” After this, I shared the sweet gospel of Jesus with this Islamic man. As the conversation came to a close he said, “I and not sure of what I will do” and thanked me for the conversation.  The seed was planted in VeeCee’s heart and now someone else must bring the increase. Its sad that in turkey today there are very few witnesses for Jesus, especially when Jesus said, “Go into the uttermost parts of the earth!” Once this place was vibrant with Christians and now it is vibrant with sin and darkness. My prayer is that this land will one day return to its roots and follow Jesus!

Tomorrow we visit Iconium! Please don’t forget to check out the photos under the links above!

In Him,

Greg

2 comments:

  1. That is so awesome, Greg! That seed has been planted and my prayer will be that it will take root and grow. My prayer Will be that he will not be able to rest or have that peace until he makes the decision to trust the One and Only True God! All it takes is just One! You have been that One in this gentleman's life to share that precious gospel of Jesus Christ!
    The photos are amazing! What an amazing experience you are having! I love you, son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so humbling to know that God can take a worthless piece of clay and make it into a vessel to spread the Gospel. I'm so proud of how you are letting God use you. Love you. (Dad)

    ReplyDelete